“Family is just accident…… They don’t mean to get on your nerves.
They don’t even mean to be your family. They just are!”
– Marsha Norman
Effective family communication can be challenging!
You’re family is changing….. now what?
Do you catch yourself sounding like one of your parents or responding just like you did in your family, when you were growing up- even when you always promised yourself you’d never be like that?
You may not be happy with how you learned to be you, but when you understand how you got to that point, you can also figure out how to make the changes you want. You can’t easily change what you don’t understand!
When you were a child, you probably figured out how to cope – and how to survive your family challenges! However, the same approach to your family may not work as well now. I’d like to help you find out why things go wrong and how to feel more “adult” with your family. I help families communicate more effectively and without conflict.
Your whole family doesn’t need to be in my office in order for you to work on ways to improve communication and lessen the conflict. You and I can work together on some strategies that can help your family interactions.You may want to bring in a parent, teen, sibling, spouse, or other family member for one or more sessions but that is not a required part of the work we’ll do together.
When you are too close to the problem, it can be hard to figure out what’s wrong and to come up with solutions If you are facing any of these issues, you might find you could use some help:
- Your family is changing – things just aren’t the same anymore.
- Your children are getting older, and the problems are different.
- You’ve had too many losses – through distance or death.
- Your older teen is driving you crazy.
- Your family’s concerned about your anger at everyday events.
- Family conversations end up in argument and angry debate.
- You would like to reestablish or improve contact with a sibling or other family member
Or – let me know what I’ve missed…………